Happy New Year! I’ve published the article below for several years now as a way to stop the insanity. In other words, stop doing the same things over and over again expecting different results. Wishing you success in 2014!!
Do you want to sell or earn more in 2014 than you did in 2013? There’s only one way to guarantee you will exceed last year’s results and income and beat your competition hands down…and that is to improve your sales skills by investing in yourself and your ability to generate record sales.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Did you achieve the results you believed you would when you started the year? Why or why not?
- Did you exceed your business goals this year? What factors contributed to you exceeding your goals?
- Did you try something (anything) new: a new prospecting method, a new closing technique, a new networking approach? A new ______________?
- Did you repeat any of the mistakes you made in 2012? Why?
- Did you come out of the gate in 2013 with a roar? If not, why not?
- Are your goals, plans and action steps for 2014 clearly defined? If not, when do you plan on working on them? Hopefully sooner rather than later.
- What are you going to do better, sooner, or more of – this coming year than last?
- Are you letting the external forces of the economy, the business climate or your competition determine your attitudes or results?
- What are your self-development plans for 2014? Do they include more reading, more learning, more training?
Over the years I have had the opportunity to observe hundreds of salespeople in all industries and I can tell you that many of them expect different (better) results this year than last but do nothing different or better. If this is you, you are living in Fantasyland. Selling, like any other profession, requires constant study, vigilance, courage to ask difficult questions and a willingness to break out of traditional thinking and into the realm of “what if”.
So why not start something really unusual this year. For example:
- Start sending regular notes to potential, current and former clients (10-15 a week)Better yet, pick up the phone and call them!
- Read a new self-help book every week
- Join a professional association or mastermind group
These may not be new, unusual or creative for some of you, but I’ll bet for many of you even these will be a stretch.
Create a list of at least 25 unique / different behaviors / actions that you will try, test or do this year. Place this list where you will see it each and every day.
“Action must be taken at once; there is no time to be lost.” Miguel Hidalgo
Source: Tim Connor, Connor Resource Group, www.timconnor.com